Tamen Logo

Michael Sohor & Co is now known as Tamen Accountants. This is a name change only - we are the same dedicated team, and look forward to serving our valued clients for many years to come.

If you sell a residential property that isn’t your main home on or after 27 October 2021, you'll need to report the sale to HMRC, and pay the tax owed within 60 days of the completion of the sale to avoid any penalties.

A group of companies exists when one company, normally called a “holding company” owns one or more subsidiary companies. The advantage of such a structure is normally ring-fencing of risk within trading subsidiaries, as well as the possibility of protecting surplus funds within a holding company. We are able to advise on the suitability and implementation of such a structure in appropriate cases.

If you’re a contractor or freelancer operating through a limited company, you might be affected by IR35. The rules on this have changed recently so that it is now the end client (if they are a medium or large sized company) who is responsible for determining the employment status of any contractor. Determining IR35 status is not always straight forward and there are numerous factors which can affect the decision. Our advice would depend on your individual situation.

This measure was introduced on 1 March 2021 in an attempt by HMRC to prevent VAT fraud. Supplies are within the scope of DRC if the work is within the scope the CIS scheme, and the customer is not the end user.  For further guidance, see our downloadable guide on the DRC.

You might be able to claim capital allowances on what is known as the “integral features” of the property. Generally, these are the hot and cold water systems and main wiring within the property. Other items are rarely seen in practice. This is a complex area and advice must be tailored to your situation.

You have 2 years from the date of acquisition of a second home to nominate it is your principle private residence (PPR). Currently the last 9 months of your ownership of a property which you have lived in as your “PPR” are exempt from Capital Gains Tax. Lettings relief is all but gone now, with only periods where you co-habited with your tenant qualifying for lettings relief.

Generally, there is a tax advantage for businesses operating though a limited company because the rate of Corporation Tax paid by companies is lower than the rate of Income Tax and National Insurance paid by sole traders. However, a limited company comes with various complications which means this option not right for everybody. Our advice will be tailored to your individual situation.

Yes, you can. The simplest method is to use the HMRC approved rate of £6 per week which is £312 per year. If you want to claim more than that, then you need to work out the actual proportion of your expenses which relate to business use. That means you must work out the proportion of your own home which is devoted to office use and apply that proportion to your usual household bills. Bills which you could claim for include items such as council tax, mortgage interest, insurance, gas and electricity.

To pay an employee you must set up a payroll scheme which is registered with HMRC. You must ensure that the employee is paid at least the statutory minimum wage and you are responsible for making deductions for Income Tax and National Insurance, if appropriate. You must also set up a workplace pension scheme if your employees earn enough.

It depends on the type of car you are considering. Generally, cars which run on petrol or diesel alone are not worth running though a company; the benefit in kind (BIK) tax is too expensive. Hybrid cars and pure electric cars are very tax-efficient, and therefore might be worth putting though a company. However to benefit from the most generous tax deductions in your company the car must be new and unused and 100% electric. This means a significant financial commitment.

You’re in good hands. We’re members of/ accredited by...





Go Proposal – Champions


Chartered Tax Advisors



Deadlines don't have to be taxing

Our tax experts we can make sure all your tax returns are filled out and submitted in the most efficient way. Get in touch to find out more about our tax return services.